Friday, December 24, 2010

Twas the Night before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
The pounding had quieted, the crew had clocked out.
The cabinets were all hung on the walls with care
In hopes that some cooks might soon be there.

The dishes were washed and all put away,
The laundry room tidy at least for a day.
I put on my jammies, Mike snored in his chair
I sat in the rocker, should I poke him, do I dare?

Outside the wind blew, the rain went pitter patter.
The new vent flap chimed in, oh my what a clatter!
I covered by ears, wrapped myself in a blanket,
On the punch list that goes and I know where to rank it.

My eyelids grew heavy, my breathing had slowed,
The movie had ended, someone said it had snowed.
And in my mind's eye what then should appear
But those shiny new appliances so expensive and dear.

Dacor, Wolf, Bosch, Liebherr I love you so much,
Along with cabinet door and drawers that close with a touch.
With plenty of storage everything has it's place
And when the gang is home there's lots of space.

I dreampt I was hosting a dinner for 10.
The menu was Greek and Italian and Cornish game hen.
The wine was uncorked, appetizers ready and waiting.
First rule in this kitchen "there shall be no catering".

The soup was simmering when the timer went off.
I lifted the lid, took a taste and then coughed.
The texture was fiberous and the aroma musty.
It was full of wood chips and awfully sawdusty.

Something's not right, what's wrong with this picture?
What could I have done to concoct such a mixture?
I stir and stir and now my arm is numb.
Oh wait, that's weird because so is my bum.

I wake with a start and stiffle a giggle,
Open one eye, big stretch and wiggle.
I creep downstairs and take one last look,
It will be another month before I can cook.

A wish comes to mind as I turn out the light
Happy Holidays to All!
May your New Year be bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment